Wednesday 10 October 2012

Three-day Weekend, Four Hikes and My 70 Year Old Mom


Spring Road, High Park

I am in a part of High Park I have never been to before, looking at a sign. All of a sudden I hear,

"Ouch, oh no"

I turn around to face my mother, who is saying, "that dog just hit me. It really hurts."

"What? A dog hit you?"

"Yes dear, that brown dog."

We walk on for a few minutes and then she says,"I think we should turn around." She pulls up her pant leg to reveal a bruise and bump the size and shape of a mango. It's the type of bruise that results when an 80 pound Weimaraner hunting dog running full tilt side swipes a thin 70 year old.

"O.K." I say. We turn around and head home. I am concerned about my Mom, but I am also a little sad. After dragging my family across 32km's of Toronto's parks and ravines, I have had the greatest Thanksgiving ever. I don't want it to end.
The Beltline

As we trudge home, I flash back to Thursday when I tell my her that I want to do four hikes this weekend. She initially looks a little nervous and asks if they are the types of hikes that one can drop out of, if necessary. "Sure," I say. A half truth. I'm not sure that they are and I am not sure that they aren't. When I suggest to my cousin, Jane, that we celebrate Thanksgiving by walking 13km across the city and then go to Chinatown for our Thanksgiving dinner, she doesn't even bat an eyelash. "Sounds good to me" she says.

So begins my Thanksgiving odyssey. After doing a bit of research, I have come up with 4 walks; a 5km warm-up on Friday night in High Park; a 13km Saturday walk, across the Beltline; on Sunday a 10km walk along the lower Humber River; and a final Monday morning 5km spin around High Park.

My mom and I complete the first walk on Friday evening in an hour. "See Mom," I say, "You just did 5km and you feel great. Tomorrow's 13km will be a piece of cake." She does not respond.

The Beltline

Saturday arrives and my Mom, Jane and I are out on the Beltline by 10:30 am. The pace is brisk and we talk. This is a hard time of year for each us. It feels good to reminisce about the past, tell stories from the old days and laugh as we check out a few of the more handsome runners we encounter along the path. Eventually our trail leads us to Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The three of us have spent a lot of time in cemeteries in the past few years, sometimes together, often alone. It's feels normal to be there.



As we walk, certain headstones stand out. We pass a runner who died at 29. At least 20 of the medals he received are hung on his tombstone. We go through a section which is specifically for children. Weather beaten teddy bears stand guard beside the small square plaques on the ground. I've had a lot on my mind lately and this part of the walk is a Thanksgiving style reminder of all that is right with my life...a reminder that there are types of grief I haven't felt and no time to waste on self pity.


From left to right: Me, Mom, Jane at the Brickworks

By lunch time we reach the Brickworks, an old factory that has been re-purposed into a craft, food and farmer's market and have lunch. As the vendors are packing up we head back onto the trail and carry on northward towards St. Clair Ave. As our walk ends I am left with a feeling of calm.

Sunday, my Mom and I set out again for trek up the Humber River. She says she is feeling a bit "squeaky," but after two hours and forty-five minutes we complete our 10 km walk.

When Monday arrives I admit that I am feeling a little "squeaky" myself. This time it's my mom who says to me, "are you ready to go back to High Park?"

"Are you?" I reply.

"Sure, why not? Let's give it one more try."

We head off and soon find ourselves amongst the the trees. This is where she and the dog collide and our final 5km is cut short, a kilometre early. In the end, the collision is not serious and with a bit of ice she is almost as good as new.

My mom goes home later that night. As I watch her get on the bus, I am struck by the fact that the more we change and develop new traditions, the more we value the people who help us do that. This weekend I have experienced good things while seeing new parts of the city and spending time with my family. This Thanksgiving I have been reminded just how lucky I am to have both my mom and Jane to walk with me not only through the ups and downs of city of trails, but also along the path of life.

Never quit,

Mary
Coming up: horseback riding, kayaking and the Toronto Women's 5km.

The Beltline

The Beltline

Thanksgiving Dinner

The Lower Humber River, Etienne Brulee Park

The Lower Humber River, Etienne Brulee Park
Grenadier Pond, High Park





No comments:

Post a Comment