Wednesday 28 November 2012

Spinning: As the snow flies I take the ride inside.

“Oh man…it’s snowing,” Marla says with a combination of sadness and disgust.
As we walk to the gym, I look at the sky.  It has a melancholy grey about it and the ground is harder than usual beneath my feet.  It seems a long time since last Sunday when it was warmer and the sky was a happy sunshiny blue. It was the type of day where winter seemed like it might pass us by. As we rode our bikes out to Leslie Spit, we strategized about the how we’d ride all winter if there was no snow this year.  
Just as I am about to get lost even further in the memory of last Sunday, a gust of cold wind slaps us in the face with a dose of reality.   It reminds me of how we both somehow instinctively knew that our winter riding dream was just that…a dream, and why we are up at this ungodly hour on a Sunday morning to attend spinning class.

The Sunday morning class at my gym is unique...and getting up early is a must...if you aren't in line by 7:45 you won't get a spot when it starts at 8:15. 

Spinning, if not lead by the right person, can by very boring.  But this class is designed by Paul. He is a rock n’ roll mix master, road cyclist and genuine guy with a great sense of humour.  He’s the kind of person that can make you believe you are having fun…even when you are biking uphill for 20 minutes. Paul is one of a kind, and even though he would never admit it, I am willing to bet he has developed quite a following at the gyms where he works around the city. 




Marla and I get there in good time.  We head into the studio and choose our bikes.  I am adjusting the seat on mine when I hear a broad English accent, "Well, what do we have here? Mary! Nice to have you back."  I give Paul a big hug and try to sneak a peek at his playlist as he sets up his bike.
Born in London in the shadow of White Hart Lane, Paul was the kid who took his transistor radio to bed and listened to music until late into the night.  His love of music is part of his instruction style and soundtracks for classes are filled with tunes that cross decades of popularity.  One can expect to hear the Beatles, Neil Young, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Beastie Boys, Metallica and U2, just to name a few. 

As we are standing there chatting, I tell him I have been out riding my bike most weekends and that I am back so that I can keep my aerobic level up over the winter. "You are going to have to work to your full potential in every interval to keep your edge." he says smiling.  
One of those people who, unlike me, is prepared to brave any sort of weather, Paul rides his bike everywhere he goes--all year round.  His devotion to cycling forms his philosophy for spinning. Classes are designed to replicate a one hour outdoor ride with lots of hills.  He concentrates less on sprinting, like some instructors, and more on building cardio and muscular endurance through climbing.  

Our class begins, Paul tells us that our first interval will be a nine minute hill.  There are a few groans, which prompts him to utter what has now become his tag line...“pain today…nice looking legs tomorrow."


For the next hour, we encounter rolling hills,  adjust the resistance to simulate a steep hill and thankfully have a five minute flat aerobic interval.   All of this is done at maximum energy level and intensity.  Paul doesn't allow us to back off until the 60 minutes have elapsed.

After class is over, Marla and I walk back up the hill towards our building.  Although I am wishing I could be outside riding my bike, it's nice to have the whole day ahead of me to do things.  As we walk on,  I also can’t help but think of the weather and how my Mom always says “it’s an ill wind that doesn’t blow some good.” Spinning with Paul is more than just an exercise class, it's an entertaining social event that I can look forward to over the winter.  Plus a new season brings new opportunities. Putting my bike away will be sad, but I have a whole list of winter activities planned...many of which require snow.     

Never quit, 

Mary


Coming up:  I connect with an old friend and run for a good cause.   


No comments:

Post a Comment